Earth Day: How To Make Your Home More Energy Efficient
Posted on 04/11/2022
As Earth Day approaches, we’re presented with the perfect opportunity to reflect on our impact on the planet and explore ways we can make a difference. One simple yet impactful step towards sustainability is creating an energy-efficient home. Not only is it beneficial to the environment, but it can also help save you money on your energy bills in the long run.
We know the idea of making your home more energy-efficient can seem daunting at first, that’s why we’re excited to share our simple Earth Day tips and tricks with you. With just a few simple changes, you can create a more eco-friendly and sustainable home that you can be proud of. Join us as we celebrate Earth Day and commit to making a positive impact on the planet!
Table of ContentsWhat Is An Energy Efficient Home? Tips For Making Your Home More Energy Efficient Our Top ENERGY-STAR Certified Appliances
What Is An Energy Efficient Home?
Before we dive into our tips and tricks, let's define exactly what an energy-efficient home is. It is a living space that is thoughtfully designed to minimize the amount of energy required to maintain a comfortable indoor temperature and provide other essential services such as lighting, ventilation, and hot water.
The main goal of an energy-efficient home is to reduce energy consumption and carbon emissions, which is possible through the use of various energy-saving features such as proper insulation, efficient heating and cooling systems, high-performance windows, and energy-efficient appliances.
By being more mindful and implementing these changes, homeowners can enjoy lower utility bills, improved indoor comfort, and a reduced carbon footprint. Moreover, an energy-efficient home can help promote environmental sustainability by reducing the overall energy demand and reliance on non-renewable resources.
Did you know? To keep your refrigerator operating more effectively, you should occasionally clean the door gaskets and vacuum the condenser coil.
Tips For Making Your Home More Energy Efficient
- Energy-Efficient Appliances: One of the most impactful ways to reduce your home's energy consumption is to replace old appliances with energy-efficient models. ENERGY STAR-labeled appliances meet strict energy-efficiency guidelines set by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). These appliances use less energy, which not only helps the environment but also saves you money.
- Upgrade Your Lighting: Lighting can account for a significant portion of your home's energy consumption, which is why switching to energy-efficient lighting can make a big difference. LED or CFL bulbs use up to 75% less energy and last longer than traditional bulbs, making them an excellent option for anyone looking to reduce their energy consumption. With a wide range of styles and colors available, you can easily find energy-efficient lighting that complements your home's decor!
- Use a Programmable Thermostat: A programmable thermostat automatically adjusts the temperature in your home when you're not there, helping you save energy. You can program it to lower the temperature at night or during the day when no one is home, reducing overall energy consumption.
- Use Cold Water: By using cold water instead of hot water for laundry and dishwashing, you can significantly reduce your energy consumption. As an added bonus, using cold water is actually better for your clothes and helps them last longer.
- Unplug Chargers: Even when they're not in use, chargers for phones, tablets, and other devices can still use electricity, which adds up over time. Unplugging chargers when they're not in use is a simple habit to get into, and it can make a big difference over time.
- Insulate Your Home: Proper insulation can keep your home warm in the winter and cool in the summer, reducing the amount of energy you need to heat or cool your home. By adding insulation to your windows you can create a more energy-efficient home that's comfortable year-round.
Our Top ENERGY-STAR Certified Appliances
ENERGY-STAR Certified appliances are designed to offer the same or better performance as standard models, so consumers don't have to sacrifice quality or functionality for energy savings. This means that consumers can enjoy the same level of comfort, convenience, and functionality while reducing their environmental impact. Here are three of our favorite ENERGY-STAR Certified home appliances of the moment:
Café Appliances ENERGY STAR Smart French-Door Refrigerator
Favorite Feature: This stunning 27.8 cu. Ft. refrigerator with a sleek premium glass finish, features a high-tech convertible drawer with soft freeze options. This drawer comes with five different temperature settings: soft, freeze, meat, beverage, snacks, and wine—to match your every need. You have the flexibility to control the temperature settings and ensure no unnecessary energy is being wasted.
Whirlpool Front Load Electric Dryer with Intuitive Touch Controls
Favorite Feature: Apart from being ENERGY STAR Certified, this washer has an EcoBoost option that uses less energy while still ensuring your load receives a great drying performance. It helps you save even more energy by using less heat and a longer cycle time.
Favorite Feature: This luxurious Bosch dishwasher has a built-in water softener to remove hard water spots caused by lime deposits. This softens the water to the right level to ensure you have spot-free and shiny dishes after every cycle, avoiding the need to manually wash your dishes or repeat cycles. Having your dishes turn out clean and spotless the first time will help you save water, time, and energy, which is why we love this feature for sustainable homes.
How can I check my home's energy efficiency?
You can have a registered energy advisor conduct an energy audit to provide you with a complete breakdown of your home’s electricity consumption and energy efficiency.
How can I make my home more energy efficient?
There are many ways you can help make your home more energy efficient. Try out a few of our recommended tips and tricks above to get started!
How do you know if an appliance is energy efficient?
If you want to make sure an appliance is energy efficient, check for the following: See if it is ENERGY STAR certified, check the energy guide label, and keep an eye out for any energy-saving features. At Van Vreedes, our appliance experts will gladly help ensure your new appliances are energy efficient.
Sustainable Living Made Easy
At Van Vreedes, we believe that small changes can make a big impact, which is why we’re committed to offering a great selection of energy-efficient appliances for our customers to choose from. From refrigerators, laundry appliances, dishwashers, and more, we can help you build an eco-friendly home that is stylish, efficient, and sustainable.
Visit any of our appliance store locations in Appleton, Green Bay, or Oshkosh, Wisconsin, where our appliance experts can help you find the right appliance no matter your preference or budget. We strive to provide the best customer service in all of Wisconsin and are passionate about helping you build your dream home!